Committee Roles and Responsibilities
- Preside over all events held by the Group (seminars, conferences, travels, and Committee Meetings)
- Maintain a working relationship with the Senior Member
- Tasks related to the weekly seminar series:
- Two Months before Term, invite speakers for the series
- Organise the printed and online Termcard
- Host the Speaker for dinner in a College
- Chair the seminar, introducing the Speaker and moderating the question period
- Coordinate any special arrangements for VIPs
- Tasks related to the annual conference (currently entitled 'International Forum of Strategic Studies Groups'):
- Liase with the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) and other affiliates at least six months prior to conference to determine topic, location, and date,
- Participate in the organisation of speakers, attendees, and sponsors
- If in Oxford, organise location
- Preside over the conference
- Organise and lead all trips, both foreign (generally one per year) and domestic (a few per year)
- Maintain the website (unless a webmaster position exists)
- Review the appropriateness of current policies of the Group, discussing with the Committee any alterations deemed necessary
- Keep records of all correspondance for archiving in the Bodleian
- Ensure the Group is acting within all relevant University Guidelines
- Represent the Group at conferences and meetings related to the Group's interests
- Liase with the International Network for Strategic and Security Studies Groups. In the short term, this involves ensuring the Network's publicity and membership continue to grow, and it becomes more institutionalised.
Vice President Coming Soon...
- Maintain a register of the members of the Group, which shall be available for inspection by the Proctors on request;
- Give notice of meetings of the members and the Committee;
- Draw up the minutes of those meetings;
- Notify the Proctors promptly following the appointment and resignation or removal of Office Holders and other members of the Committee;
- Advise the Proctors promptly of any changes in the Constitution of the society;
- Notify the Proctors not later than the end of the second week of every Full Term of the program of meetings which has been arranged for that term (e.g. by providing them a copy of the term card); and
- Inform the Proctors if the Group ceases to operate, or is to be dissolved, and in doing so present a final statement of accounts.
Treasurer In essence, the Treasurer carries out two roles: the obtaining of funds and the management of expenditure. In practical terms, the first role involves liaising with firms, embassies and government departments in order to attract potential sponsors. As regards the management of expenditure, the Treasurer maintains the accounts and, in coordination with the other members of the Executive Committee, decides how best to allocate the Group’s resources.
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 23 January 2008 )